It's the last day of Grilled Cheese Sandwich month! I had to squeeze one in before the month ended!
This is a super simple sandwich (if you have the ingredients prepared), with a very basic recipe, but so delicious I couldn't not share it. The combination of pesto and goat cheese has always been one of my favorites, and I was still reeling from the way my tofu chèvre meshed with pesto in this pizza, so the making of this sandwich was just inevitable.
As I mentioned before, the ingredients for this recipe will take more time to come together than the actual sandwich will, but the payoff will be well worth it. You will need to start the tofu chèvre about a day in advance, and the pesto will take roughly ten minutes. Any pesto recipe will be fine, so if you have some leftover from another meal, it will work perfectly. This recipe is for 1 sandwich, but can easily be double to provide for 2 sandwiches. The hardest part of the whole recipe, however, will be to not scarf down the entire sandwich in 2 minutes.
GRILLED CHÈVRE & PESTO SANDWICH
- 2 slices of whole grain bread
- ¼ recipe of Tofu Chèvre (roughly 2 inches of the log), sliced into 4 slices
- 1 ½ T pesto (I used this recipe, but you can also use this recipe)
- 1 T vegan cream cheese
- vegan butter (I used this recipe, though Earth Balance would be fine as well)
- On one piece of bread, spread the cream cheese. On the other, spread the pesto. On the cream cheese side, arrange the chèvre, then use a butter knife to mash/spread it onto the bread. Put your sandwich together and evenly spread the vegan butter on both sides of the sandwich.
- Eat a small frying pan over medium heat for about 1 minute. Place the sandwich in the pan and let it brown, for about 3 minutes. Check it occasionally to make sure it is not burning. Once it is browned, use a spatula to gently flip it over and brown the other side for about another 3 minutes. Remove from heat and serve hot. Enjoy!
Happy Grilled Cheese Sandwich Month! Did you make any grilled cheese sammies to celebrate?
All Photos by Chris Miller
© Kristy Turner and Keepin' It Kind, 2012. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material (content and images) without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Kristy Turner and Keepin' It Kind with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.