Tomorrow is National Vegan Pizza Day! Are you as excited as I am?
Because I care about all of you, I want you to get this holiday started off right. For this special day, to make sure you have the proper fuel to get you though the day of eating vegan pizza, and to do National Vegan Pizza Day justice, I'm providing you with the ultimate breakfast pizza.
We all love our tofu scrambles for breakfast, but what do you serve it with? Potatoes? Toast? Well, friend, I've got you covered. Let's put the potatoes in the tofu scramble, because you know you're going to mix them together once they get on your plate. And instead of boring ol' toast, let's pile it up on top of a pizza crust and save everyone the hassle of trying to use a fork to scoop it onto your toast. Then for good measure, let's put some melty cashew cheese (because it's pizza and we need some cheese, dang it!), and some greens in there (because we need our vitamins and minerals to be healthy on this day of vegan pizza-eating).
I know you're now saying "Back up to the part about the melty cashew cheese," so let me tell you about it. Awhile back, I made this awesome Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Cashew Cheese for some burgers I was making. It was based on an incredible recipe from Annie at An Unrefined Vegan. It's on the firmer side and is just amazing in sandwiches, burgers, or pretty much anything you add it to. Well, a friend of mine, Somer, at Good Clean Food, made her own version of Annie's cheese, but she made it with pectin, rather than agar agar. The result: a much softer, meltier cheese. I followed Somer's recipe and it blew my mind (yes, there is a link to a Flight of the Conchords music video in her recipe, and yes, that is one more reason why I love her). Chris and I practiced enough self-control to not eat the entire batch of this luscious mozzarella-flavored cashew cheese and saved some for this pizza. If you don't want to make this incredible cheese (you would be kind of nuts not to), daiya or another vegan mozzarella cheese would work just as well.
This tofu scramble is my favorite kind of scramble, the kind I like to make time and time again. Then it's combined with the awesome cashew cheese and made into a pizza... Well, it's pretty much heaven on earth for me and I can't think of a better way to start National Vegan Pizza Day. Come on, people- Let's do vegan pizza proud!
- 3-4 small potatoes, thinly sliced (I used a mandoline)
- 2 cups roughly chopped greens (I used collard greens)
- 1 block of extra firm tofu, drained
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ + 1/8 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon black salt (Kala Namak)
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon tumeric
- several dashes of cayenne pepper
- ¼ – 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 recipe pizza dough
- 1 cup vegan mozzeralla-style cashew cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup marinara sauce (optional- I used Trader Joe’s Organic Tomato Basil Marinara)
- Prepare your pizza dough, according to directions, or use your own preferred method. Preheat the oven to 475. Prepare your pizza pan or peel, and place rolled out dough on the peel/pan.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, shallow saucepan or frying pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the onion and sauté until onion is translucent. Add in the potato slices and the ½ cup vegetable broth. Turn the heat down to medium-low and sauté the potatoes until the liquid is fully absorbed, stirring often to prevent sticking. If you find it sticking a lot, you may need to turn the heat down just a bit more.
- Use your hands to tear the block of tofu into bite-sized pieces and add to the pan. Mix to combine with potatoes and raise heat to medium. The tofu should release enough water to keep it from sticking, but if you find that it is sticking, use a bit of water to deglaze and lower the heat. Let the tofu cook, stirring only occasionally to prevent sticking, until the tofu is “browned,” about 10-15 minutes.
- Once the tofu is browned, add the thyme, cumin, salt, paprika, tumeric, cayenne and 1/8 cup of vegetable broth. Mix until fully combined and let cook until liquid is absorbed. Add the nutritional yeast (if you like a more cheesy taste, use 1/3 cup, if you want less, use ¼ cup) and mix to combine. Add the greens, stir to combine, and lower the heat to medium-low. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until greens are just starting to wilt. Remove from heat.
- After you’ve added the greens, place the peel/pan, with the prepared pizza dough, into the oven and cook for 2 minutes, then remove from heat. The purpose of this is to pre-cook the crust a bit so the tofu scramble doesn’t have to be in the oven as long (which will cause the greens to get a little crisp).
- Use the back of a spoon to spread the marinara around on the crust (this step is totally optional. If you don’t have any marinara on hand, don’t sweat it). Sprinkle 2/3 cup of the shredded cheese on the crust. Spoon the tofu scramble onto the crust and spread out evenly. Top with remaining cheese.
- Return the pizza to the oven and cook for about 5-7 more minutes, until the edges bubble up and get a little golden. Remove from oven and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Want to make vegan pizza for lunch and dinner too? Try my Wild Mushroom Pistachio Pesto Pizza with Tofu Chèvre or my Kumquat Rainbow Chard Stem Pizza with Cashew Hemp Cheese Sauce.
To learn more about National Vegan Pizza Day, visit quarrygirl.com.
Photography by Chris Miller
Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy
OH my gosh Kristy this looks incredible! SO yummy! I could absolutely go for a slice right now! And I love Somer!! She is the sweetest - I'll have to check out her cashew cheese recipe! Have a great weekend!
Aw, shucks. xoxo
Thanks, Caralyn! Isn't Somer awesome? She just amazes me. 🙂 Have a great weekend!
Wonderful! All delicious, all the time - and so creative! Have a great weekend Kristy!
Thank you, Shira! I always love hearing from you- you have such a kind heart! 🙂 Have a fantastic weekend too, Shira!
*BLUSHING* So not worthy! However, glad you love the cashew cheez as much as I do! It's a game changer for us veg heads!!! XOXO
P.S. Breakfast pizza for dinner tonight at our house!
You are so worthy and you are so right- this cheese is a TOTAL game changer. Thank you again for letting me know about the pectin! Have a great weekend! 🙂
Thanks Kristy! You too!!!
You are a genius! Of course I need both potatoes and toast with my scramble. No more scramble falling off of the sides. No more bite of potato and then bite of scramble. Hello, gorgeous pizza!
No more separate bites of potato and scramble ever, Cadry! This one is a game changer! 🙂
AWESOME! Will be making this immediately! 🙂 You rock!
Thanks, Melissa! You are awesome! Have a great weekend! 🙂
your fully loaded breakfast pizza looks delicious! the perfect way to start your morning off right on national vegan pizza day 😉
Thanks, Caitlin! I hope you have a great weekend and a wonderful vegan pizza day! 🙂
Wow, you should open a pizzeria and I'll eat there every day hehe. Tofu Scramble on pizza just blew my mind. I'm sharing this post to friends. Happy Vegan Pizza Day!
Hahaha! Thank you, Richgail! I'm so very happy that you like it. 🙂 Happy Vegan Pizza Day!
I can't resist a good scramble, so I can't believe I never thought of putting it on pizza before! Totally brilliant- It's the ultimate brunch dish.
Totally the ultimate brunch dish! Thanks, Hannah! 🙂
Gabby @ the veggie nook
Oh my word Kristy this sounds amazing! I loooove my carbs so it doesn't get much better than combining a good pizza crust with potatoes. Add in some tofu scramble and cashew cheese, well you didn't really give me a chance now did you 😉
I love your tribute to Vegan Pizza Day! I only hear about these things the day of and never get a chance to make anything. Ah well, I will live vicariously through you 🙂
Hope you're having a great weekend!
I'm a big fan of carbs- pizza with potatoes are a match made in carb heaven. 🙂 I hope you're having an awesome weekend too, Gabby!
holy deliciousnesssss. give me some of those crispy tatoes with the scramble! i think this might just be my breakfast all of next week!
we had quite a few pizzas this week, so today was no cook take out ethiopian food day! i have to try that cashew moza, i have some fruit pectin!
Holy deliciousness is right, Richa! It's all about taters and scrambles. It's the brunch of champions. 🙂
Bex @ Vegan Sparkles
haha, ohhhhh I LOVE your style, Kristy! Tofu Scramble + pizza = the best breakfast fun EVER! Can't wait to make it for my friends. 🙂
I love YOUR style, Bex! Makin' this pizza for your friends- so awesome! 🙂
I can't think of a better way to start off any the day the year - this looks SO GOOD!
Seriously, so creative! We love Breakfast and Pizza, this is so us 🙂
Breakfast+Pizza= Super-happy-breakfast-fun-time! 😉 Enjoy!
I'm putting this on the shopping list for this week-I have a new pizza stone to try out and this is just the pizza I was looking for to christen it! 😀
Awesome! Thanks, Mabz!